27 March . 2019
New to Living in Austin? 10 Things Newcomers Need to Know!
Whether you call us the Capital of Texas, the Live Music Capital of the World, or gateway to the beautiful Texas Hill Country, Austin is one of the hippest, happiest and happening places to live in the entire United States. Here are 10 reasons why.
1. Austin is one of the most desirable cities in the U.S. In 2018 and 2017, Austin grabbed the No. 1 spot on U.S. News & World Report’s 100 Best Places to Live in the U.S. list. A young, hip population, a vibrant live music scene, and natural treasures like Zilker Park, Barton Springs and the surrounding Texas Hill Country are just a few of the reasons people love Austin. See more reasons to love Austin.
2. Austin is a happy city. Who doesn’t to live in a happy city, especially when researchers are discovering that where you live can have a direct effect on your mood? WalletHub and National Geographic have named Austin as one of the happiest cities in the United States, based on metrics like healthy eating, leisure time spent every day, and income-growth rate.
3. Austinites are more active, less stressed. If Austinites are happier, it’s probably because they are less stressed and more active than their counterparts in other major cities. Check out three recent reports on how Austin residents enjoy an active lifestyle and less stress, which could be key factors in reducing heart disease and strokes.
5. Baby Boomers love Austin, too. Austin ranks as the No. 1 Texas city to retire in, and No. 4 nationally, proving that love for Austin spans across generations.
6. Austin’s economy is booming. Austin had the fastest-growing economy in the nation in the most recent report from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. And with major expansions from companies like Apple and Google continuing to make news, Austin should continue to rank as one of the nation’s most economically vibrant cities for quite some time to come.
7. The environment is beautiful, both inside and outside of the city. It’s no surprise that many of the top things to do in Austin include enjoying the city’s natural jewels, such as Zilker Metropolitan Park, Barton Springs and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. Nearby, the surrounding Texas Hill Country offers endless opportunities for day trips, camping and luxurious spa retreats.
8. Austin is an emerging food and beer destination. Zagat recently named Austin the No. 2 Most Exciting Food City in the United States, beating out culinary heavyweights like New York and New Orleans. Austin’s food scene has moved from “up-and-coming” to “here to stay,” Zagat says. With so much good food, you’re going to need a lot of beer to wash it down, so good thing Austin now ranks as the top beer city in Texas.
9. There are plenty of fun things to do in Austin. Thanks to Austin’s multifaceted status as the Capital of Texas, the gateway to the Texas Hill Country, and home to the world-class University of Texas, there’s no shortage of fun things to do here. Our list of the Top 10 Things to Do In Austin is filled with natural wonders and cultural treasures.
10. Austin offers many great places to live. From hip, in-town neighborhoods and downtown high-rises, to master-planned communities that incorporate the beauty of the Hill Country, Austin offers many choices for where to live. Check out our tips for choosing the right community, and some thoughts about the pros and cons of city vs. suburban living.
Previous PostWhere to find wildflowers in Austin and the Hill Country in 2019
Older PostHill Country views will be a highlight of The Overlook Club at Sweetwater
Want More Information?
- 2022 (6)
- 2021 (15)
- 2020 (29)
- 2019 (75)
- 2018 (117)
- 2017 (62)
- 2016 (34)
- 2015 (21)
- 2014 (17)
- 2013 (11)
- 2012 (18)