10 November . 2017
Celebrate the holidays in Hill Country style
We do the holidays a little bit differently here in the Texas Hill Country, and we’re not just talking about the “Keep Austin Weird” tradition of roadside Christmas trees. From decorating your home for the holidays, to enjoying festive events, here are our top 8 tips for enjoying the holidays – Hill Country style.
1. There’s nothing more local than cutting your own Christmas tree, so here’s a guide to Austin area tree farms.
2. Speaking of buying local, the same goes for buying holiday gifts and decorations from local artisans. The Renegade Craft Fair in downtown Austin features over 125 makers on Nov. 25-26.
3. Give some sweet local gifts from Round Rock Honey, Sweetwater’s partner in our community honeybee hives. Shop their website for special editions of honey and gifts such as honey lip balm, soap and skincare products. Experiences make great gifts, and Round Rock Honey offers beekeeping classes and tours of its Honey House.
4. Just as close to Sweetwater, the Hill Country Galleria is another great place to get holiday decorations, gifts, clothing and more. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants to take a break from shopping, along with a festive lineup of holiday events.
5. Need some visual inspiration? Check out these Texas Hill Country Christmas photos on Pinterest.
6. Did you know that Johnson City’s Lights Spectacular is one of the biggest holiday light displays in the country, with millions of twinkling lights? The lights come on the day after Thanksgiving and glow through the New Year. It’s just up the road from Sweetwater.
7. The holidays are a great time to travel, but you don’t have to go far to feel like you’ve escaped. Here are five quirky weekend getaway ideas, all just an hour from Austin.
Want more ideas for Austin area shopping, dining and entertainment choices near Sweetwater? Check out our Area Guide.
Previous PostVolunteer this holiday season and enjoy the “happiness effect” as your reward
Older PostSweetwater Fall Festival coming up this Saturday, Nov. 11
Want More Information?
- 2022 (6)
- 2021 (15)
- 2020 (29)
- 2019 (75)
- 2018 (117)
- 2017 (62)
- 2016 (34)
- 2015 (21)
- 2014 (17)
- 2013 (11)
- 2012 (18)